No matter what stage of your life you’re at, it’s good to be reminded of just how capable you are and what potential lies ahead in your journey.
Whether you’re living the dream or still working toward it, looking at inspiring and powerful wise women can help give you the confidence to push past your fears and go for your goals.
These are some of my favourite words of wisdom from great women – all of whom agree, don’t follow your dreams: lead them!
1.“Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin
It’s true! Your resources are within yourself. You’ve just got to find them, and on your journey, don’t be afraid of the way it feels; work with it.
2. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” – Brigham Young
Women are fantastic at sharing their wisdom, advice and skills. Don’t keep it to yourself. Other women are your sisters, not your competition.
3. “I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story – I will.” – Amy Schumer
The power is within you. Embrace it, develop it, nurture it!
4. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion with one’s courage.” – Anais Nin
It can be scary but let’s agree with Anais and remember to ‘just keep swimming’.
5. “Life’s a bitch. You’ve gotta go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou
Few women know more about facing down adversity than Maya Angelou, and if you take on every day like you’re going to beat it… you really will!
6. “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” – Hillary Clinton
Criticism isn’t just something faced by women in the spotlight – but how you handle it should be the same no matter how many eyes are on you.
7. “Doubt is a killer. You have to know who you are and what you stand for.” – Jennifer Lopez
Another word for self-doubt is insecurity, but you can build security in yourself by identifying, asserting and developing your personality and wellbeing alongside it. If you’re not there yet, don’t worry – it takes time and is an ongoing process, but one that’s well worth the journey.
8. “If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
No matter how high you rise, you must remember to practice gratitude.
9. “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.” – Estee Lauder
There’s only so far daydreaming can get you. Opportunities are scarcely randomly granted. Have you started planning on how you’re going to meet your objectives and achieve your goals. An empire can begin with just a pen and paper!
10. “When a woman becomes her own best friend, her life is easier.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
Of course you shouldn’t ditch your friends – no woman’s an island, it takes a village, and all that! But you should become your own #1 cheerleader. Big yourself up, celebrate your successes and allow yourself to feel congratulated, even on the smallest of steps.
11. “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” – Michelle Obama
Did you know that in the audiobook of Michelle Obama’s autobiography, there are five hours of speech before you even hear the name ‘Barack’? Michelle is a powerhouse in her own right; and whilst politics has never been for her, she’s shaped her life in her own way. Don’t limit yourself – and consider how you may be doing so without realising it.
12. “If you don’t live your life, who will?” – Rihanna
You’ve only got one shot at this. Now’s the time to work it out and navigate the path of your choosing… even if it’s considerably different to that of Rihanna’s!
What’s your favourite quote by a great woman?
Make sure it’s stuck somewhere prominent so you can see it every day and be reminded of it whenever you need a spark of inspiration.